Mastering Shared Decision Making
Patient dissatisfaction with the decision making process about their treatment options can increase the risk of complaints or claims against a doctor.
Facilitating conversations effectively can result in more informed and appropriate decision making for patients. It can also increase a patient’s sense of ownership of the decision leading to better acceptance of unexpected or unwanted consequences after an adverse outcome.
“Very useful, I think the shared decision making component is spot on and pulls together the strands of many, even all, aspects of medicolegal issues/claims.
By attending this workshop you will:
- Learn how to facilitate effective patient decision making
- Understand the process of shared decision making and its importance in effective doctor-patient relationships
- Gain an understanding of what leads to complaints and claims related to clinical decision making
- Explore the challenges that you could face in the decision making process
- Learn techniques that will assist you in meeting the rising expectations of patients for information about their healthcare choices
- Reduce your likelihood of complaints and claims arising from clinical decision making consultations.