- Based in London
- Full time, Fixed Term Contract
The Medical Protection Society Limited (“MPS”) is the world’s leading protection organisation for doctors, dentists and healthcare professionals. We protect and support the professional interests of more than 300,000 members around the world. Membership provides access to expert advice and support together with the right to request indemnity for any complaints or claims arising from professional practice.
Our in-house experts assist with the wide range of legal and ethical problems that arise from professional practice. This can include clinical negligence claims, complaints, medical and dental council inquiries, legal and ethical dilemmas, disciplinary procedures, inquests and fatal accident inquiries.
Our Communications Team are recruiting for an experienced Media Relations Manager in our London team on a fixed term maternity cover contract. As the Media Relations Manager, you will play a lead role in managing the reputation of MPS, enhancing our profile, driving forward our thought leadership work whilst also managing the media advice service provided direct to MPS members.
The role provides an excellent opportunity to within a topical and changing environment; managing our media activity in the UK and internationally including in Ireland, South Africa and South East Asia.
As the Media Relations Manager, you will work collaboratively across the Organisation and be responsible for:
• Developing and implementing our media relations plan
• Devising and implementing media strategies to support a range of proactive campaigns
• Managing a team of three press officers and our relationships with our key suppliers and agencies
• Monitoring and reacting to breaking medical news in the UK and in our key international markets whilst advising senior colleagues on our approach
• Identifying reputational risks to the organisation and its members, developing and maintaining crisis messages and train spokespeople
• Engaging with national, regional and medical/dental trade media in the UK and internationally to build relationships, pitch stories and address damaging content
• Coordinating and providing the media handling support service to MPS members, working with lawyers and medicolegal experts
• Writing and editing thought pieces, blogs, press releases, statements, social media content and interview briefings on sensitive and complex medicolegal issues
We are interested in candidates who can demonstrate the following:
• Experience and a proven track record in generating high quality media coverage and leading media campaigns
• Experience in a people leadership role
• Experience in reputational management and crisis communications
• Must have exceptional written and verbal communication skills
• A personal interest in news, current affairs and healthcare is desirable
• International media relations experience is also highly desirable
Benefits of the Media Relations Manager role include a 12% pension scheme, 25 days holiday (in addition to public holidays), private medical insurance, childcare vouchers, car allowance, healthcare cash plan and an annual bonus scheme.
Download a role profile
To apply or enquire, please send a CV along with salary expectation to firstname.lastname@example.org for the attention of George Mill
The closing date for this role is 30 July 2018
For more information on how we use your data please click here