- Based in Leeds
- Full time, permanent
- Attractive salary, plus benefits
MPS is the world’s leading protection organisation for doctors, dentists and healthcare professionals. We protect and support the professional interests of more than 290,000 members around the world. Our benefits include access to indemnity, expert advice and peace of mind. Our in-house experts assist with the wide range of legal and ethical problems that arise from professional practice. This includes clinical negligence claims, complaints, medical and dental council inquiries, legal and ethical dilemmas, disciplinary procedures, inquests and fatal accident inquiries.
We are currently recruiting for a Director of Risk & Compliance to join us, in a permanent role, based in our London office. The risk function is independent and reports direct to the Chief Executive with matrix reporting to the Chair of Audit and Risk Committee. The Risk Function facilitates the ownership of risk management by business leaders in MPS to identify, assess, and avoid / mitigate risks. The function oversees compliance with external rules that are imposed upon MPS as a whole and compliance with internal systems of control that are imposed to achieve compliance with the externally imposed rules and internal policies and standards. The risk function leads the governance and frameworks to minimise, monitor, and control the probability and/or impact of risk or to maximise the realisation of opportunities. The overall purpose of the risk and compliance function is to assure uncertainty does not deflect the endeavor from achieving the MPS strategic goals.
This role will lead on fostering a member-focused and appropriate risk culture across the business which supports the delivery of financial security of our membership fund by providing Risk and Compliance direction to the Executive and Senior Leaders of MPS; reinforced by an effective and appropriate risk management and compliance framework which monitors compliance with MPS risk-appetite standards agreed by Council.
- Lead the continuous development and implementation of an appropriate risk strategy and risk management operating model
- Lead the design and implementation of an effective risk and compliance framework
- Monitor current and emerging critical and material risks to MPS, monitor and report on risk taking activities and risk exposures against the Council approved risk appetite and risk limits
- Lead the Risk and Compliance team to create a high performing, competent and engaged team
- Build awareness, understanding and advocacy of risk management and compliance and raise the competence of all leaders in risk identification
- Lead on the engagement and information flow with key existing stakeholders (regulators, members, Council and colleagues)
- Lead on the audit (second line of defence) of quality assurance frameworks, policy adherence and process compliance
- Contribute fully as a member of the MPS’s Senior leadership team through proactive involvement in strategic and operational meetings and liaising fully with the Executive team
- As the compliance and risk landscape continually changes, keep abreast of evolving legislation and best practice; identify and recommend opportunities for MPS to become more efficient and effective in risk management
- Experience in a leadership role within an operational risk and compliance function in the insurance industry and ideally Healthcare
- Experience of how (General) insurance companies operate including the type of business performance measures that insurance companies would seek to monitor including capital risk management
- Experience in engaging with regulators and the broader stakeholder community
- Experience in facilitating Board / Council members on annunciating a risk appetite framework
If you are looking to take on a transformational role that will impact the way MPS operates, then we want to hear from you.
In return, we offer a great working environment in conveniently located offices in the City Centre. We offer an exceptional benefits package, including a 12% pension scheme, 30 days holiday (in addition to public holidays), private medical insurance and a health care cash plan, car allowance, childcare vouchers and an annual bonus scheme.
Download a role profile
To apply or enquire, please send a CV along with salary expectation to firstname.lastname@example.org for the attention of George Mill
The closing date for this role is 15th June 2017.