Support to become the best doctor you can be
Wherever you are in your studies, we can give you the tools and skills to help avoid risks throughout your whole career.
What is professional protection and why do I need it?During your training, you’ll start putting into practice what you’ve learned by going out on clinical placement. Professional protection can assist you with any medicolegal problems that might arise from your work on placement.
• issues that come from taking a history or performing a physical examination of a patient
• communicating with patients and relatives
• difficulties with sharing information with colleagues
• medical school fitness to practise proceedings
• any criminal proceedings arising from seeing patients during your training.
What is an MDO?
Medical defence organisations give you the right to request indemnity should you face any claims or complaints in your clinical practice.
With Medical Protection you also get more than defence. Membership gives you access to plenty of resources to complement your studies, empowering you to help avoid mistakes and risks in the future.
What’s included in your student membership?
- Up to 25% discount on a wide range of medical textbooks.
- Free access to our online learning platform with exam support and revision resources.
- The medical student pocket guide, covering everything from day one as a fresher to going abroad for your elective.
- Access to our advice line, with impartial expert guidance from medicolegal specialists, many of whom are doctors themselves.
- The right to request representation should you ever need it.
- Protection for your elective.
Your membership is free throughout your time at medical school, and when it comes time to graduate we’ll be in touch about your membership for foundation year.
As you move onto a new stage of your career, we are here to give you the support you need to practice with confidence.
Renewal is a good opportunity to update us on any changes to your details and information, which you should keep up-to-date whenever possible. This is because any missing or inaccurate information could affect your right to request assistance, and in some circumstances can result in your membership being cancelled.
FIND OUT MORE
Continuing your membership for your foundation training
Renew your Medical Protection membership and practise with confidence