Protection for GP practice groups
Practice Xtra allows GPs and other healthcare professionals to retain individual membership of Medical Protection with the additional support of a group arrangement. Having all practice staff as members of Medical Protection often makes managing complaints and claims much easier. Where partners share joint responsibility for any adverse event, it can help us provide a quick resolution and is less disruptive for the practice. It also means we can offer your practice additional support, for example, with health and safety advice and employment law. It costs your practice nothing extra to set up a Practice Xtra group to make the most of your membership benefits.
Members in England and Wales
In England and Wales you can set up a Practice Xtra scheme if 50% of the GPs in your practice are Medical Protection members. There is a 10% discount available for GP members which is applied to their Professional Protection membership.
All partners in a GP practice, including practice manager partners and nurse partners, should add Claims Protection to their membership if private or fee-paying services are provided by the practice. This is because a clinical negligence claim could be made against the partnership relating to work your team undertakes. Find out more.
Members in Scotland, Northern Ireland, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man
There are two benefit levels available:
• Practice Xtra Gold, for practices where 80%+ of GPs are Medical Protection members
• Practice Xtra Silver, for practices where 50%+ of GPs are Medical Protection members
There is a 10% discount available for GPs who are members of Practice Xtra Gold.
Please note, you need to have a minimum of two GPs in your practice whether in the UK, Channel Islands or Isle of Man.
Benefits at a glance
|England or Wales||Scotland, Northern Ireland, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man|
|Discounts on GP subscriptions1||✔||✔|
|Free nurse membership (indemnity only)2||N/A - most indemnity now provided by the state-backed scheme||✔|
|Free membership for practice managers3||✔||✔|
|Learning and professional development|
|Practice Matters magazine||✔||✔|
|Croner webinars and events||✔||✔|
|Support for practice managers|
|Croner business support advice line
1. GP members in England or Wales receive a discount on their Professional Protection membership. GP members in Scotland, Northern Ireland, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man receive a discount on their membership subscription if they are part of Practice Xtra gold. Find out more about Professional Protection and Claims Protection memberships.
2. Limits to the number of free nurse memberships provided may apply depending on the number of GPs who are Medical Protection members and the level of duties undertaken by each nurse.
3. Enables practice managers to support their Practice Xtra group members including membership administration and to seek advice on behalf of the practice, including patient complaints and employment law advice from our partner, Croner. Practice manager partners should add Claims Protection to their free membership. Find out more