Doctors who received training to improve their communication skills report a significantly lower rate of difficult interactions.
We understand that dealing with difficult interactions with patients can be a significant cause of stress, yet the nature of most clinical jobs makes these encounters unavoidable.
In these scenarios many doctors find it difficult to communicate their point of view effectively for fear of escalating conflict. This can lead to frustration, dissatisfaction and may affect patient care.
As part of this workshop you will look at why such situations arise, be provided techniques to handle them effectively and manage your own internal response.
Thank you for all the helpful tips. Glad that the speaker had a GP/psychology background to appreciate our difficult interactions with patients.
Consultants, General Practitioners, Hospital Doctors, Foundation doctors and Doctors in Speciality/GP Training
3-hour workshop comprising short lectures, reflective exercise, small group-facilitated discussions and group activities and rehearsal of skills
Members - free as a benefit of membership
Non-members - £150 (inclusive of VAT)
Independently accredited for 3 hours of CPD
By attending this workshop you will:
- enhance your skills in managing difficult situations with patients
- understand the choices available to you when faced with a difficult interaction
- learn techniques to minimise conflict and deal with challenging scenarios, such as aggressive or upset patients
- build the skills to effectively “diagnose” the problem
- learn personal “survival” skills to reduce stress
- improve the clinical outcomes of these complex situations.
Mastering Difficult Interactions with Patients is the fourth workshop in the Mastering series, and we highly recommend participants to attend the Mastering Your Risk workshop first.
This workshop can be delivered in house for practices with a minimum of 12 doctors.
If you are interested in commissioning this workshop for your organisation, please contact MPS Education Services for more information and costs.