HEE block indemnity arrangements don’t include access to indemnity and medicolegal support for work undertaken outside ST training. However, we are pleased to offer you this additional protection as outlined below.
• NHS-indemnified work. This is included in your standard HEE membership and you don’t need to inform us of this work. However, if you work for a service that has been commissioned from a private provider to care for NHS patients, please be aware that your work may not be NHS-indemnified. In this scenario we recommend you check your contract and, if it requires you to arrange your own indemnity, then treat this as private practice (see below).
• Non indemnified private practice. We will provide free membership where your gross annual earnings are £10,000 or less. If your gross annual earnings are over £10,000 you will be asked to pay an additional annual subscription of £1,100 per annum.
Please ensure you add any non-indemnified practice to your membership even if your earnings from this are less than £10,000 and you are entitled to free membership, so we can ensure you are fully protected.
There are some exclusions to the work you can undertake. You cannot be the clinician in overall charge of the clinical care of the patient and your earnings cannot be derived from any of the following activities:
- air ambulance/repatriation
- bariatric surgery
- benefits work
- complementary medicine
- cosmetic/aesthetic medicine (other than Botox, or other non-permanent fillers and superficial chemical peels)
- general practice
- health screening (other than DVLA medicals)
- medical nonclinical work (eg appraiser, coroner, tribunal officer, responsible officer)
- medicolegal work
- occupational medicine
- ophthalmology (including refractive laser surgery)
- oral and maxillo-facial surgery
- plastic surgery, reconstructive and aesthetic surgery
- slimming clinics
- sports club doctor
- spinal procedures/surgery
- pregnancy termination