MPS in Scotland
Supporting you from the heart of Edinburgh
As a member of Medical Protection practising in Scotland, you are supported by our expert team of advisers, with in-depth experience of Scotland’s unique medicolegal landscape, based in the heart of Edinburgh – perfectly placed to meet your needs. You also belong to an organisation that provides expert advice and resources to support more than 300,000 members worldwide.
Medical Protection is much more than a last line of defence – we believe that prevention is better than cure, so we are committed to helping you avoid problems and provide the best care for your patients.
Explore the sections below to see how we can help our members in Scotland.
Dedicated support for Scotland's doctors
Medical Protection provides expert support, advice and defence at every step of your career – supported locally by a dedicated team based in our Edinburgh office.
Benefits of membership:
- Support and advice from our dedicated Scottish team with in-depth experience of Scotland's unique medicolegal landscape. Plus, your dedicated Scottish membership contact, Alison Mee
- 20 FREE risk management CPD workshops in Scotland every year
- Our range of workshops
- Access to FREE CPD with our online learning
- Access our online learning
- Bespoke publications produced exclusively for Scottish doctors
- Factsheets to keep your knowledge of core Scottish medicolegal topics up to date
- Revalidation guide for GPs, to support you with revalidation and GMC requirements
Low risk subscription rates
Low-risk GPs, such as those who haven’t had a claim for clinical negligence made against them in the last five years, and who don’t undertake substantial out of hours work, could make significant savings of up to 33% on the costs of MPS membership.
Find out how much you could save:
To find out more about saving you and your practice money, please contact us on 0800 561 9000.
Existing MPS members will be contacted ahead of their membership subscription renewal date with further information.
Working with the Scottish government on your behalf
We work hard to defend the medicolegal interests of Scottish members.
Whether it’s a revised piece of GMC guidance, or a Bill going through the Scottish Parliament, we use our expertise to inform debates about changes that could affect your practice.
Our Policy Team regularly lobbies governments to influence positive changes and plays an active role in shaping public policy and regulations that impact on you – championing change.
Examples of our work in this area include contributions to:
- Apologies (Scotland) Act 2016
- “No Blame” Redress Scheme consultations
- Health (Tobacco, Nicotine etc. and Care) (Scotland) Act 2016
- Working Group to consider Duty of Candour Regulations
Help us shape Scotland's duty of candour legislation
Medical Protection is the only defence organisation represented on the Scottish Government Working Group tasked with drafting Duty of Candour regulations.
These regulations mean that you must now act in an open and transparent way and ensure you have the systems in place to capture notifiable safety incidents and processes to inform patients and provide support.
Our Medical Director, Dr Rob Hendry, is a key member of this Working Group and is helping to advise the Government on how best to work with our profession.
Your experience makes you an integral part of our member community and we’re keen that your opinions are heard to help shape these (and future) regulations and influencing Scots law.