Membership information 1 800 81 5837
Medicolegal advice 1 800 81 5837

Paediatrics in Malaysia: the high price of risk

13 March 2019

Growing risk and the rising value of claims continue to affect paediatrics, an area of clinical practice already renowned for its inherent riskiness. Dr Ming Teoh, head of medical services (Asia) at Medical Protection, looks at the numerous factors driving these changes

For doctors in Malaysia, it remains a fact that the last ten years have seen increasingly higher levels of complaints, regulatory cases and claims. For paediatricians who treat infants in the early neonatal period, a particular concern is the increasing value of claims.

Clinicians who work in this field are in a highly complex medicolegal area, at greater risk of being involved in high-value litigation, involving injuries of the utmost severity. By the very nature of the injuries that can result, they are often the very largest of claims. This article looks at our data to explore what is driving this risk growth.

Claims – growing in value

Solicitors are litigating birth-injury claims more aggressively, and the general damages and long-term care costs they pursue for their clients continue to rise.

Claims involving birth injuries are some of the highest value claims we see. To date, the highest value paediatric claim Medical Protection settled on behalf of a paediatric member was over RM 960,000, and we are currently assisting on individual cases each valued between RM 340,000 and RM 3.6 million.

Why is this happening?

A major cause of the increasing cost of such claims is the natural delay in when they are reported to us: the average delay between incident date and the date of a claim arising is 1.5 years in Malaysia.

However, only 72% of paediatric claims in Malaysia are reported within the first two years of an incident occurring. In fact, the remaining 28% were reported three to four years after the incident date.

As a result of these delays, many factors can intervene to impact on the final cost of a claim, such as changes in the law, increases in the cost of care and improved life expectancy.

Fighting your corner

Thanks to our four decades of experience in Malaysia, we know that we must monitor these changes carefully and look at the overall trends across five or ten years, so we can capture a clear and comprehensive picture of the environment.

We must set subscription rates that collect sufficient funds to meet the costs of claims and assistance that could arise in the future. This is to ensure that we are here to protect members against the potentially harmful costs of litigation, as well as the other challenges they might face throughout their careers.

Your subscription

Unfortunately, continued escalation in the paediatric claims environment has an impact on members’ subscription rates. This is because we must anticipate and price for the full potential costs of these high-value paediatric claims falling in future, so that we are able to provide the right level of defence and support you may need should the worst happen.

We strongly believe that prevention is better than cure. As a member of Medical Protection, you have access to a wealth of online resources on our website and e-learning platform, PRISM – to help you act now to safeguard your future practice.