3.1 Communication skills
Domain 3: Communication, partnership and teamwork
Attribute 3.1: Communicate effectively
This attribute is about involving patients in their care in an appropriate way and maintaining positive communication.
You can demonstrate it by:
Medical Protection resources
- listening to patients, respecting their views about their health and responding to questions
- giving patients the information they need in order to make decisions about their care in a way they can understand
- keeping patients informed about the progress of their care
- explaining to patients when something has gone wrong
- passing on information to colleagues involved in, or taking over, your patients’ care.
Free CPD-accredited Mastering workshops explain best practice approaches to communication skills including shared decision making, managing difficult interactions and handling adverse outcomes.
Online learning system PRISM includes interactive modules to support you with communicating risk, communicating after an adverse event and balancing clinical judgement with patient choice.
- Case reports about communication breakdowns can help you learn from and avoid problems faced by other medical professionals.
- Factsheets about communications topics include advice on using digital methods to communicate with patients, non-compliant patients and duty of candour.
Practical tips to help you plan and prepare for revalidation
Go to guidance