- Based in Leeds
- Full time, permanent
- Attractive salary, plus benefits
MPS is the world’s leading protection organisation for doctors, dentists and healthcare professionals. We protect and support the professional interests of more than 290,000 members around the world. Our benefits include access to indemnity, expert advice and peace of mind. Our in-house experts assist with the wide range of legal and ethical problems that arise from professional practice. This includes clinical negligence claims, complaints, medical and dental council inquiries, legal and ethical dilemmas, disciplinary procedures, inquests and fatal accident inquiries.
We are currently recruiting for a Director of Finance to join us, in a permanent role, based in our Leeds office. The Finance department provides an extensive range of services and deliverables for MPS: internal and external financial reporting; budgeting, analysis and performance monitoring; relevant financial, taxation and regulatory advice; income and payment processing; compensation and benefits services; internal control processes and systems; and tax and other regulatory compliance; strategic planning, reporting and business development.
- To provide a quality service to all departments and to lead the operations of the Finance Department, ensuring the application of appropriate accounting controls to ensure the security of the company’s assets and accuracy in reporting the financial position
- To take a proactive role in managing relationships between finance and key stakeholders, to ensure that the stated targets are met and to continually assess how to improve service delivery and to take steps to do so
- Lead the Finance team to develop and ensure successful delivery of the overall Finance strategy and operational plan
- To liaise with auditors throughout the year and provide clear supporting information to ensure an effective and efficient audit.
- Oversee and review production of accurate monthly management accounts, including analysis of subscription income, legal costs and damages and administrative costs by department.
- To ensure the efficient operation of all financial systems within MPS and the accurate recording of data, by constant review and improvement of these systems and internal controls.
- Oversees the budget process through leadership of the Finance Business partner team and liaise with the Chief Executive and Executive Director Finance & Risk to produce accurate and timely budgets
- Contribute fully as a member of MPS’s Senior leadership team through proactive involvement in strategic and operational meetings and liaising fully with the Executive team
- To ensure information is accurate and payments are correct, by ensuring that appropriate data review mechanisms are in place and that the appropriate authorisation levels for payments to be are in place and regularly scrutinised
The job requires a qualified accountant, with significant knowledge and experience of preparing financial statements, managing audits, operational systems and internal controls. In addition, a good knowledge of income tax, benefits in kind, pensions, corporation tax, capital gains tax and VAT is also important.
- Previous experience of leading and managing a Finance function, ideally in a Financial Services environment
- Has strong people management skills with an ability to adopt a coaching style and motivate
- Can demonstrate an ability to work collaboratively across organisations
- Has a Business development focus with an ability to turn research into actions
- Strong presentation skills with the ability to deliver on a range of topics to a wider range of audiences
If you are looking to take on a transformational role that will impact the way MPS operates, then we want to hear from you.
In return, we offer a great working environment in conveniently located offices in the City Centre. We offer an exceptional benefits package, including a 12% pension scheme, 30 days holiday (in addition to public holidays), private medical insurance and a health care cash plan, car allowance, childcare vouchers and an annual bonus scheme.
Download a role profile
To apply or enquire, please send a CV along with salary expectation to firstname.lastname@example.org for the attention of George Mill.
The closing date for this role is 15 June 2017