Enhance your expertise, reduce your risk
Take decisive action to reduce challenges to your practice, with our one-day Risk Management Masterclass.
As an experienced paediatrician you know about the rising risk of complaints and litigation. But do you know that you can help minimise those risks by developing your communication skills?
Complement your clinical expertise with insight from fellow doctors and sessions tailored to the needs of your specialty. The Risk Management Masterclass gives you practical techniques to take away and apply to your practice immediately, helping you carry out more effective interactions with patients.
Saturday 19 October 2019
9.00-17.00 (lunch provided)
The Faircity Quatermain Hotel, Morningside, Johannesburg
A one-day interactive and practical session tailored to the needs of your specialty
Medical Protection members: Included as part of membership
6 ethical CEU per masterclass
By attending this masterclass you will:
- Understand the link between communication and litigation
- Incorporate the skills of listening, reflection and checking on patient understanding
- Improve the skills required for consent and shared decision making
- Appreciate patient motivations to complain or claim
- Communicate regret and empathy with the patient’s situation and understand that this is not necessarily an admission of liability
- Apply models for communicating with patients about adverse outcomes
- Be provided with skills that will help reduce your exposure to complaints and claims.
A one-day interactive and practical session tailored to the needs of your specialty.
The morning session includes a series of lectures and activities on the importance of good communication in developing a trusting relationship with your patients. Here we’ll cover discussing expectations and arriving at decisions with patients, and the importance of engaging with them after an adverse outcome, looking at a model for carrying out these conversations.
In the afternoon you’ll have the opportunity to practise these skills. You’ll work with professional actors in the role of patient, roleplaying scenarios from before and after treatment.