Mastering Consent and Shared Decision Making
Patient dissatisfaction with the decision making process about their treatment options can increase the risk of complaints or claims against a doctor.
Facilitating conversations effectively can result in more informed and appropriate decision making for patients. It can also increase a patient’s sense of ownership of the decision leading to better acceptance of unexpected or unwanted consequences after an adverse outcome.
By attending this workshop you will:
- learn how to facilitate effective patient decision making
- understand the process of shared decision making and its importance in effective doctor-patient relationships
- gain an understanding of what leads to complaints and claims related to clinical decision making
- explore the challenges that you could face in the decision making process
- learn techniques that will assist you in meeting the rising expectations of patients for information about their healthcare choices
- reduce your likelihood of complaints and claims arising from clinical decision making consultations.