Here is a list of links to online resources in the UK.
Please note that MPS is not responsible for the availability or content of these websites. We do not endorse these sites, but hope that you find them useful. If you have any comments about these sites, would like to suggest other sites that MPS members would find useful, or have problems with any of the links on these pages, please email us. MPS offers education resources for students. For more details please visit our medical student resources page.
- British Library - The national library of the United Kingdom. Provides a wide variety of medicine and healthcare services, including a loan service and searchable databases on healthcare issues.
- British Library Public Catalogue - Provides simple searching and ordering of documents from the British Library’s extensive collection. Includes ability to search for articles from 20,000 research journals and 70,000 conferences.
- British Medical Association Library - One of the UK’s leading medical libraries. Specialises in clinical medicine, medical ethics, clinical governance and social and political issues.
- British Medical Journal - Published weekly with a circulation of more than 100,000. Online, searchable issues from 1994 to present.
- BNF: British National Formulary - Provides UK healthcare professionals with authoritative and practical information on the selection and use of medicines. Published by the BMA and the Royal Pharmaceutical Society of Great Britain.
- Counselling Directory - This is a confidential service that encourages those in distress to seek help. The directory contains information on many different types of distress, as well as articles, news, and events.
- Doctor Online - Links to a wide variety of online information sources of relevance to UK doctors. More of the site is accessible through NHS net.
- Doctors Net - Europe’s largest on-line community of doctors, with more than 65,000 members. Services include free email address, discussion forums and medical news.
- DVLA - Fitness to Drive Guidance - At-a-glance guidelines to the Current Medical Standards of Fitness to Drive, updated every six months, can be found on this website.
- Educating Medics - Educating Medics is a free online resource which aims to comprehensively list all courses, events, lectures and meetings aimed at medical doctors in the UK. In addition, it provides users with functionality to review events which they have previously attended. It also provides online access to a number of postgraduate medical educational events in the UK.
- Expedition Medicine - Expedition Medicine faculty aims to prepare both medical professionals and expedition members for the rigors of providing medical care assistance and leadership in areas far from advanced medical facilities.
- GP Training - An educational resource for GPs, GP trainers and doctors in specialty training for general practice.
- Medical Communication Skills - Provide interview skills training course for doctors, whether they be SHOs, specialist registrars or consultants. The courses give you the insight, knowledge and skills you need to succeed at your next interview, with proven results.
- Medipedia - Still in its Beta stage of implementation, this repository of up-to-date unbiased medical information, is maintained and contributed to by health experts around the world, and freely available to everyone.
- MPS Educational Services - Provides risk management advice and consultancy to primary care and NHS trusts, private hospitals, other healthcare organisations and GPs.
- NHS Appraisal Toolkit - Provides an online ‘appraisal toolkit’ for consultants, SAS doctors and GPs. A free training CD-ROM for new users of the NHS Appraisal Toolkit is now available here or by phoning the team on 0191 243 6127.
- Online course in early childhood - This website contains many resources that may be useful to anyone involved in early childhood education. The site also discusses the offline and online educational paths you can follow to obtain a degree in early childhood education or a related field.
- Primary Care Electronic Library - Aims to link to quality-assured primary care resources on the internet.
- PRODIGY - Supporting general practice in developing the quality of clinical practice, through computer software, education and training.
- Public Healthy.com - An introduction to the subject of public health by a specialist registrar practising in the UK. Includes information on training, health protection and prison health.
- Royal Society of Medicine Library - Searchable database of books and reports acquired since 1984, and journals since 1994.
- Saferhealthcare - An online patient safety resource developed by the National Patient Safety Agency (NPSA), BMJ Publishing Group and the Institute for Healthcare Improvement (IHI).
- Support For Doctors - This website extends the range of help provided for doctors and their families by the Royal Medical Benevolent Fund.