- Based in London
- Competitive Salary & Benefits Package
The Medical Protection Society Limited (“MPS”) is the world’s leading protection organisation for doctors, dentists and healthcare professionals. We protect and support the professional interests of more than 300,000 members around the world. Membership provides access to expert advice and support together with the right to request indemnity for any complaints or claims arising from professional practice.
The General Counsel team currently consists of the General Counsel and Assistant General Counsel. As a third member of the team, reporting to the Assistant General Counsel, the Legal Counsel will provide assistance on a wide variety of matters and be pivotal in ensuring that the MPS Group complies with applicable law and regulation, and follows corporate governance best practice both in the UK and internationally.
The Legal Counsel will assist with the provision of legal advice on commercial and corporate issues affecting the MPS Group in each of the jurisdictions in which it operates. They will:
- work closely with members of each of MPS’s divisions at all levels and provide them with practical commercial legal advice
- provide high quality legal advice on a wide range of legal matters affecting MPS Group
- assist and work as an active member of project teams and business initiatives
- assist with compliance and corporate governance
- assist with the identification and management of risk
- help to monitor legal developments and design and then support the implementation of new policies and procedures across the MPS Group
This role offers a fantastic opportunity to work in an extremely interesting and niche organisation, with the opportunity to work alongside and learn from our existing General Counsel team who are keen to recruit someone who can develop in the role.
Due to the size of the team you will have great exposure to all business areas and really be able to make the role your own, working with a good level of autonomy. If you’re not already an in-house lawyer, you’ll need to show your ability and desire to work in an in-house environment. You’ll have the skills to assess, manage and prioritise MPS’s legal advice requirements and adapt rapidly to changes in our business needs, bringing a commercial approach to the investigation and management of legal issues and risk. We’re looking for someone who is extremely proactive, pragmatic and dynamic.
We are open to applications from corporate/commercial law professionals with a strong academic history, excellent training and the desire to succeed.
Download a role profile
If you would like to express an interest please submit your CV along with salary expectations in confidence to firstname.lastname@example.org for the attention of Sarah Speechly.